About Me

My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Craft/ food story Developer, Writer & Photographer for Newspapers & Magazines. first Book on Quilts out March 2015 with @Interweave All images and content belong to Siobhan Rogers, if you would like to use my images please email me.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

not quite Nigella

I've just had a birthday!
some might think its odd that I made my own Birthday cake .....

but not those that know me well, they wouldn't blink an eye.

I love baking - I'd do it every day If I could - but alas I cant. So when a good reason comes up - like a birthday, I bake!







I wanted a huge lush knock out cake & something the kids would eat.

I have cooked Nigella Lawsons chocolate pavlova  countless times over the years - everyone loves it. 
The only tweek I add is instead of dark chocolate I use Toblerones.

I have often made it and wondered what it would be like layered almost like a Dacquoise

For this three layered version I double the quantities of Nigellas recipe.


Balsamic Vinegar & Toblerone


whipping up my double quantity of egg whites



uncooked


I spread the mixture out fairly flat because I wanted it to turn into a flat disc. 


cooked


for the layers I made a 




chocolate mascarpone cream


Beat one tub (250g) of Mascarpone with a beater until soft
add 100g grated dark chocolate
1tsp cocoa
add to that 300ml of whipped thickened cream and mix till combined 






The top is covered in whipped thickened cream, I always add a touch of vanilla essence & sugar to my cream




then whatever seasonal fruit is around




I used Strawberries, figs & blackberries









It was a lovely evening & lovely Cake
enjoyed by all!



and today the cake is even better











 and its today's lunch !


on other news
the painting at our house has been done, so my sewing machine can come back out!

I'm busily sewing up some cushions with fabrics I have designed on spoonflower


little sneak peak below ;)


next week is my daughters birthday, she has requested a cheese cake

I'd love to hear about your Favourite cake!
leave a link below


Xx Siobhan

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...