About Me

My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Craft/ food story Developer, Writer & Photographer for Newspapers & Magazines. first Book on Quilts out March 2015 with @Interweave All images and content belong to Siobhan Rogers, if you would like to use my images please email me.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wherever you roam

I find a lot of comfort in Mr Bob Dylan, perhaps its being a child of the 70's or maybe because his words still ring true - For the times they are a-changin.............


This is my "Fabric of Life" art work, I have entered it into the Victorian Cancer Council Art Awards. It was open to entrants who have been touched in some way by Cancer.


The 31st October 2008 I lost my Mum to Breast Cancer. She had been diagnosed January 2002 when I was pregnant with my second child, I still remember trying to book in being induced and my mum juggling her second chemo treatment so she could look after the eldest who was almost two years old at the time......... Life becomes very surreal and odd when loved ones are ill. My mum was pretty unreal and I laugh and cry at my memories of cancer and it's impact on our family and how she took it all in her stride - she was one strong lady.




Fabric Of Life



the finished size is 1m X 1m








I had some favourite fabric scraps that I had been hanging onto and also still had some fabric I had printed with names/dates and my word thesaurus of love/yes/no. When I saw the Cancer Council Art Award and Art work criteria - I jumped at the chance to create something and it was actually a very therapeutic process.




work in progress

Fabric of Life - Unframed



I made it look hectic to try and show how crazy life can get, I left the frayed edges to show it as unfinished and a little bit falling apart, although the middle of the work is still tight and together. It describes to me the process of Cancer and treatment and also how it feels when you are left behind - when some one passes away - the world still spins but some how it's not the same. The elephants represent "never forgetting", hearts are love and flowers...... gosh so many different meanings.




Detail of the centre







I have always intended on doing something and one day I'll make a big quilt out of the clothes that we still have hanging in the closet but for now I'm happy with my Fabric of Life. The kids love it and are very aware of all the little bits and how it all relates to us and our experiences. 


I have no expectations of winning but I'm so glad I took the leap and did it - I'm already thinking of what else I can do I really liked working with fabric as art.......


and back to wise old Mr Bob Dylan
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin

Xx Siobhan

1 comment:

Hitch and Thread said...

My mum was diagnosed with cancer when I was 6 months pregnant with my first child. She passed away 3 weeks before he turned 1. That was 4 years ago but Christmas and other occasions are still hard. I love what you've done with your fabric. I'm in the process of making a wall quilt from her clothes, to look at and to remember.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...